(Kevin likes this one, haha!)
(You can see the kids' bags/belongings lined up on the fence,
waiting for the kids to finish with school so they can go for the "home weekend.")
The Omaheke region, where we are now teaching, may have the lowest ranked education in the country. (I think) this may be largely due to all the kids coming from farms who have very little and have experienced very little outside the farm. (If you look at a map of Namibia, you can see how much open land there is.)
The Roman Catholic schools where we are teaching specifically aim to serve these "farm children." Fortunately for us and our experience, it seems like the kids are generally appreciative of their education and the teachers motivated to help them. (The way it should be, right!)






I love the creativity that goes into the artwork on the buildings. Do the kids participate in that? I think it's great that you're involved with students who don't take their education for granted like most of our students do. What a blessing! I hope things go well for you with your new classes/schools.
ReplyDeleteWith all the trees & plants around, where's the grass? None? Does the soil make for dirty floors in the classrooms?
ReplyDeleteHonestly I'm not sure who did the artwork or how long it's been there for that matter.
ReplyDeleteGood observation and inquiries about the grass, Aunt Pat! You inspired me to write a whole separate post regarding the matter. :-)