Thursday, September 8, 2011

Locked in

It is the first week back at school from holiday. During last period
today, a strong gust of wind blew my classroom door shut, learners
(followed by more learners, followed by more learners) tried to reopen
it, and after realizing there was no learner pushing the door closed
from the outside (it wouldn't have surprised me if there was), the
class and I knew-- we were locked in. (Although technically speaking,
the door was actually unlocked. When the handle was turned, it just
wouldn't do anything because the spring mechanism inside was jammed.)

I am relieved and even proud to say that impending panic was
successfully diverted and the learners followed my instructions and
continued to do the assigned work. Although this is not to say that
they didn't enjoy taking a break to look up and watch their teacher
jump in and out of the classroom window in attempt to unjam the door
from either side.

Normally when the bell rings to announce the end of the period,
learners pour out of the classrooms like monsoons. (Do Jumangi images
come to anyone else's mind??) This is especially true when that sound
means that school is out and it's time to get lunch at the hostel.

Well-aware of this, I prepared my class for the inevitable: an
evacuation-like exodus of the class through the windows. (Granted, I
doubt these learners have ever practiced evacuation drills nor know
what they are... I would HATE to see the chaos that would ensue
during a true emergency.)

This small success story ends with good news of no injuries, some
pretty amused kids, and a new teacher left feeling satisfied that she
has learned SOMETHING about being a teacher in this different place
and culture.

In many ways, it's the little things...

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA!!! I'll just bet that was the story of the day and that you were the hero of the hour for letting the kids escape through the windows. I'm sure that will come up in conversations for many days to come! There's nothing like a spot of quick thinking instead of panicking. Good for you! I know a number of teachers who would have had a heart attack over something that small. It's great to be back in school, eh? : )

    ReplyDelete