The learners here eat all kinds of things (which they maybe shouldn't), and we have no idea why since the hostel feeds them breakfast, lunch, and dinner (which, if you're wondering, includes a lot of porridge, from my understanding).
If you read the previous post below ("You can't trust the quiet ones..!"), you'll know the learners eat paper. To add to that, when reviewing with one of my BIS classes (Basic Information Science, like Library class) about the rules of the library, one learner seriously offered the answer, "Do not eat the books." Correct!
Also, I have thrown my banana out the classroom window into the bush, only to see seconds later that some girls quickly searched for, retrieved, and ate it, as if they would perish if another had beat them to it. So now I know to courteously leave these, apple cores, orange peels, etc on a rock or ledge somewhere so some lucky learner can retrieve it without it being covered in sand. Not that that would be such a terrible thing because I've also caught my learners eating handfuls of sand as they are entering my class. I ask them why... "Miss, it's nice."
It's beyond me! And I even get the feeling that there are much stranger things that they eat, but I'm not sure that I want to know what.
OK, I like eating a lot of things... but sand??? I remember eating sand (thanks to my cousin) when I was a kid, and it wasn't "nice!" I guess in a place where there aren't restaurants all over the place, and food choices are very limited, anything different is welcomed! We're a bit spoiled, I think.
ReplyDelete