Monday, July 25, 2011

One week away from the kids (Patches included!)

We were away from site all last week for Peace Corps conferences and such in Windhoek and, to my amazement and delight, MY LEARNERS ACTUALLY DID THE WORK I LEFT THEM! And as a colleague put it, "[they] weren't a nuissance." Score!

I left quite a bit for my learners to do (and most teachers ordinarily wouldn't leave any at all), which means I'm going to have a lot of marking to do. What seems like it will help ease the burden is the letter-to-Ms. Metz-about-anything assignment. So far it looks like a lot of pretty adorable fan mail. Gotta love Grade 6 (at least in Namibia!). 

More on these topics in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. "Fan mail" is pretty common amongst lower primary students - they're a very loving and accepting group overall. It's the middle school (upper primary/lower secondary) crowd who can be real nuisances! They're trying to grow up and yet they still maintain elementary school immaturity, which can be a real pain for the teachers! And of course, upper secondary students can't show too much approval of their teachers because it isn't "cool." Unless you make a huge impression on them and they all love you! Don't know if it'll be any different there - kids will be kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say it's pretty different here. I think learners of ALL ages pretty much love their teachers! Or maybe it's just us because we're special. :-) I got fan mail from my grade 6's and when we arrived we got sweet letters from 2 grade 11 learners!

    ReplyDelete