Monday, April 18, 2011

Dung beetles

Truly amazing. Nature's dump trucks. Thanks to Patches for providing us specimens, we captured these waste disposers in the following footage.

Digging the hole:

Rolling in the dung:

You can see how they are made perfectly to do this wonderful job too!  So cool!  (If you're a dork like me/us, anyway.)

When I told a Namibian that we don't have dung beetles where we're from, he was shocked!  His suggestion was we import and sell them.  I can see our business now: "Go green with nature's pooper scooper!"  I must say, we do find them to be quite helpful to have around!

For more on the dung beetle, visit Nat Geo kids!

4 comments:

  1. Cool! They are fascinating little critters. I wonder if they'd even survive in our climate? We sure have plenty to clean up, what with the dog and chickens and cats and...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL-"natures pooper scooper"-I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really are pretty cool!

    Appreciate you both following us on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the video! that is really cool!

    ReplyDelete