March 1, 2011 commemorates 50 years of service by Peace Corps.
Since 1961, over 200,000 Americans have served as Peace Corps Volunteers in 139 host countries. In its 50th year, over 8,600 Americans, ranging in age from 21 to 86 and from all 50 states, are serving as Peace Corps Volunteers in 77 countries. Currently, there are more Americans serving as Peace Corps Volunteers than any point in the last 40 years. Volunteers are grassroots ambassadors for the United States, and they represent America's values, generosity, and hope.
Have you seen anything about it on the news or anything?
Often I read the Wall Street Journal newspaper. Earlier in 2011 when Sargent Shriver died, there was a "remembrance" article about his life in the paper. He was married to President Kennedy's sister & given the directorship of the PC. (I had known that long ago.) That article mentioned the 50th for the PC anniversary. There were also photos from long ago with one showing him by his PC office door sign. Guess I should have clipped the article & sent it to you. That's the only news I've seen or heard.
ReplyDeleteGiraffe pic almost as amazing as patches picture!!! Love Mom
ReplyDelete