Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blogging: For better or for worse

Keeping a public blog in order to share our life and experiences as we go through them, uniquely illustrated by our own voice and photos, can be a funny thing. (Something new I have been learning, since this is the first blog I've written.) It's fun and easy when life is, well, fun and easy. It's the difficult things that we (as people, in general) naturally tend to leave out with family and friends... Be it through blogs posts, facebook statuses, annual holiday cards or newsletters, or conversations that take place at a family get-together or special occasion.

We realize that situations like the site change, for example, are difficult for us to go through in addition to difficult for you to read about. Still, I hope that I can continue to be transparent in my iteration about our experiences, while exercising the best judgment possible regarding how much or little to put out there. More or less, this is something we all do everyday, granted, it may not be on a blog. And, as you may have picked up on, it is my personal preference to err on the side of transparency rather than a rosy misrepresentation. (The realist that I am! :-P )

While we appreciate concerns from home regarding things that seem scary, we hope you will continue to support, encourage, and empathize with us with bravery and love. Hopefully what you take away from the previous entry is not so much a newfound fear or anxiety about how we are doing here, so much as an improved sense of how to wrap your minds and hearts around what we are going through and going through it alongside us (even from a distance).

I will add that if we are seeking advice (such as if we should stay here or go home..!), you will certainly know it. But it's like the classic case of a woman telling her problems to a man. What she really needs is a good listening ear and some empathy, meanwhile Mr. Fix-It can't think of anything except to bing-bang-boom solve all of her problems! Which, for her, is anything but helpful! (In this way, maybe I am being a typical woman, haha.)

As always, your comments (public or private) are welcome. Though preferably not the Mr. Fix-It kind, at this stage! :-)

4 comments:

  1. So how much does Patches weigh. And the pic when Kevin captures Patches under the bed ---they have the same facial expression ---pretty funny---they say you look like your dog! Come home soon. Love Mammacita

    ReplyDelete
  2. go transparency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patches weighs 28-30 lbs at this point, if the scale we used was correct! Considering all the time we spend together, I think all 3 of us are looking, sounding, and acting more and more alike. :-P

    Steve, you're READING the blog!!!!! Yay! And I thought you only looked at the pictures and maybe skimmed.. :-)

    ReplyDelete