Monday, February 14, 2011

Homeful! (Addendum: "Safety")

Mom wants to know about safety, of course.  (Thanks Mom!)

I think our new place of residence is more safe than not.  Safe because we live in a row of brand new houses, constructed within a year.  (We are the first ones to dwell in the house we are in now.)  New means money, which means less crime.  New also means secure locks on all the doors and windows.

However, we do live behind "location," which means less money.  Hopefully this is not offensive to anyone, but less money often correlates with more petty crime and excessive drinking.

Unfortunately, I think we have already fallen victim to some petty theft.  I must have forgotten to bring my shoes in one night, and we think it was at that time that they went missing.  At first I wasn't sure if I just misplaced them from the moving.  But the last place where I remember them being is on our stoop, so that night someone must have seized the opportunity.  I also think they seized one of Patches' toys!  Well, now we know to be on-guard.

Definitely feeling a bit down about that situation, as well as a bit victimized.  But all in all, nothing irreplaceable or of great value was lost.  Honestly, the biggest thing we are worried of having stolen is our Patches!  And as I think I mentioned in a previous post, this DOES happen!  Someone decides they want something, for instance, one's dog, so they just take it.  And many people will voice that way of thinking as you pass them also.  "Give me your dog."  "I will steal your dog."  Usually this is just someone expressing that they like something, but some will act on it!

Still trying to understand it, but from what I can tell, it almost seems like people here who are doing those things may not even see it as stealing.  Difficult for my American, capitalist -background mind to comprehend.  But I'm wondering if it's sort of like sharing.  Or just not stealing.  I don't know, but it's food for thought.  Interesting to me, so thought I would share it with you too.  :-)

Finally, I consider the culprits.  I would not be terribly surprised if it was just young children who were wandering about, noticed some things they wanted, and thought it would be OK and fun to go and take it without anyone noticing.  Maybe they go home to their family, and the adults there also see nothing wrong with this.  And so the cycle continues.  Just a theory.  Really I don't know anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment