At this "braai" (basically the Namibian version of our BBQ), nearly everything was done the traditional way.
Cooking outside over fires (NB: the Namibian flag in the background), as if it wasn't hot enough (Weather has been a very consistent 80-85°F with clear blue skies. We saw clouds on 1 day and not yet a drop of rain.):
We made fat cakes, which are made of dough boiled, or essentially deep fried, in cooking oil:
And also braai bread, which are made on the grill (healthier than fat cakes by a large margin):

It was the one thing Kevin could eat since he unfortunately was sick with a stomach virus for a couple days. (Which wasn't much unlike a stomach virus we have in the States. He is better now and received satisfactory attention and care!) The bread lover was not complaining:
Everyone helped, but I give credit to the trainees who wanted to experience slaughtering and preparing the chicken (probably the freshest meat many of us have had in our lives): Finally food was served. Trainees went first (since we were considered the guests) and children last (as is custom in Namibia). We could try a little bit of everything, and tastes varied from plain to just unfamiliar. The most exotic of the delicacies were probably the caterpillar and maybe the cow stomach. I wish I could say I was in love with some of the food, but at this point, I'm not really. I'm happy though since we've had easy access to fruits and veggies (phew).
And of course, cute babies were in attendance. This guy is one of the language trainers sons, what a face:










Wow, more food! I guess food and language would be the logical things to tackle first. I'm glad to hear Kevin's feeling better - I think a bit of that chicken would perk him right up!
ReplyDeleteI think it was hotter here than where you are - we were in the 90s for days. It's finally cooling off (70s) but we still haven't had rain. Everything is wilted and the trees are dropping leaves before they get to turn color. We're supposed to have rain tomorrow - I sure hope so!
Michaela is doing well at college - another person going through major adjustments! I think she's having as much of a challenge with the food as you are! : ) But classes and roommates are good, and she's playing volleyball - had her first games tonight. I'll have to let you know how they did...
Love the photos - makes your posts so much more interesting when we can see what you are up to! Thanks!!!
Wow1 Nice to see some action shots. It was great to see Kevin and Steph you do a great job with picture captions!!!
ReplyDelete